Schizophrenia is a mental health disorder that spills itself into both the physical and mental health of the individual who is affected by it. Schizophrenia can be seen in the early age of the patient and the symptoms of this disease may be executed by the patient in early adolescence or during young adulthood.
What is the Best Treatment for Schizophrenia?
The symptoms are present even when the patient is a child but they can easily be confused with other child-like attributes. Schizophrenia treatment is undertaken in many mental health facilities and rehabilitation institutions for providing not only the best treatment but also a safe haven for the patient where they can seek lifelong support as a network.
What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a mental illness that makes the patient unable to differentiate reality from otherwise. They are rendered confused, dazed and are suffering from delusions and hallucinations which make it very hard for them to have a normal life or relationship with society and their family and friends. Some of the most common symptoms of Schizophrenia are mentioned below:
- Distorted reality and unable to differentiate between reality and delusion
- Difficulty in focussing on work and school
- Poor academic and social performance
- Reclusive and isolative antisocial behavior
- Not able to stay with one group of friends and having the need to change often
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Mood swings, rage, and panic attacks
Causes of Schizophrenia
There are no real reasons why schizophrenia affects about 1% of the population of the world. Scientists and health experts have made a few possible suggestions as to what may trigger schizophrenia such as:
- Damage to the brain can cause schizophrenia – Any damage to the 3 parts of the brain may affect the patient’s ability to make decisions, remember things, and control emotions and inhibitions
- Exposing one’s self to high-stress level jobs can also trigger schizophrenia in some young adults
- Substance abuse with mind-altering drugs seem to trigger schizophrenia
- Inflammation disease of the brain or autoimmune diseases can cause schizophrenia
- Exposure to toxic chemicals as a fetus or as an infant can trigger schizophrenia later in life
These are some of the possible explanations and reasons which may cause schizophrenia in young kids and adults. It could be one or a combination of these reasons however nothing is conclusive.
Schizophrenia Treatment needs to be undertaken in a facility that has a team of well-trained psychiatrists and psychologists who can help the patient by following a treatment course that best suits the patient’s requirement.
No two patients have the same symptoms and therefore, each patient needs to have a different course of treatment based on their indications. The best treatment for schizophrenia is to ensure rehabilitation along with psychiatric care.
There is no real treatment in the medical field currently that can cure schizophrenia. But the best rehab and mental health facilities can ensure the management of the symptoms and help the individual to help control such episodes and be able to live independently using counseling and therapy.
The treatment course that is followed in most facilities are:
- Proper collection of physical and background data
- History of schizophrenic episodes in past along with the medical history
- Classification of symptoms into positive and negative symptoms to ascertain the disorder
- Conducting blood tests and scans to check for the causes of the disorder
- Appropriate treatment based on medicinal drugs and therapy
- Vocational classes to help sustain social relationships along with small jobs
- Continued follow-up and lifelong care
Alison Lurie is a farmer of words in the field of creativity. She is an experienced independent content writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry. She is a multi-niche content chef who loves cooking new things.